Freitag, 6. März 2020

Missing class- what next?

Second week of my second semester is well underway. Classes started last week and this week tutorials started and the week is almost over.
In the calendar it is but for I still have to catch up on some lecturers I couldn't go to because of my last trip.

Opps- I did it. I really missed one week of class because of my trip. But I was having fun. And I experienced that this is one of the TOP life goals for every single day in Australia.
Maybe I took it too serious ...

...but is is bad?

The lecturer would not even say that it is bad if your not attending the lecture, they would say something like:

Nice to see you all here. Nice that 50 put of 400 enrolled students made their way to campus and I can talk to someone- not only  to an empty classroom.

Why is the attitude sooo relaxed?

Hmm I wrote down soepoints that can make this situation in Australia more relaxed. 

  • One idea might be the culture that is more composed and easygoing. It might be a cultural thing in general that you're responsible for your own improvement in all stages not only education and the same time it's your fault if your missing important information and as a result maybe fail. 
That sounds really rough but it's true, if you really wanna improve yourself- go for it, opportunities are given, but if your not interested in several things why should people push you to do it?

  • another point is the fact that all lectures are recorded and uploaded after the lecture. Everyone that is enrolled in the course has access to all the recordings till the end of the semester.
Great invention. Why should I take my car- buy for fuel and parking and waste time to get there and get home at a set time if I can watch the lecture whenever I want wherever I want?
Sounds like a solution if recording is working and discussions with the students get repeated by the lecturer. (Only the lecturer is recorded)

I thought about uploading a short example but I have the feeling that this is not allowed.

  • furthermore the great support aside from the lecture might let students think to stay at home.
Yes the support is great and I really appreciate all of it but I also think that attendance or even more taking part in the content due to discussions excites your thoughts. Attending the lecture means that nothing that can divert your attention is a good beginning for a successful semester. (If you're on the phone or playing games on your laptop during the lecture brings me back to the firs point of self discipline that's up to you)

Screen if you're watching the recording at home


Maybe I should explain the different supports a bit.

Lectures/lecturer: weekly contact with the lecturer in the classes (2 hours most time with 5 minutes break)- content
Lecture slides and recordings: upload of the power point slides plus the recording of the lectures (not Tutorial) on blackboard (comparable with olat/mystudy,...)
Tutorials/tutors: practise of the content from the classes after the classes in small groups (up to 25 students, 1 hour) and the tutor is most time marking the tasks and is not always the lecturer (another way of explaining the content is given)
Textbook: all the subjects do have a textbook that the lecturer is following. Its most time just parts of the book and especially the practises/ case studys are from the book (sometimes REALLY expensive books)
Course site (blackboard): all information about the course including marks and discussion forum, lecture recordings, workshop slides, evaluation and a list of your tutorial members, pdf of hat the course is about and a lot more (comparable with syllabus  + a lot more features)
Discussion forum: chance to get in contact with students from the same course and the course coordinator for questions about everything related to the course (comparable with ractivist but with access and answers of the person that will mark your tasks)
Consultation hours: set time to meet the lecturer for questions (same available in Remagen from almost all lecturer)
library resources: it's the printed and online version of the internet. You'll find soo much in the library to use as resource for better understanding of the content or the assignments

insight of the content on blackboard



So to sum up here at USC are some features available that I couldn't enjoy in Remagen. Students have more freedom in choosing how much the want to get in "real" contact with the subjects. I wouldn't say that this is better or worse. What I can say - also especially from the perspective of an international/exchange student- I really appreciate the opportunity to watch the lecture online again (or the first time just the night before the exam, haha) and that we get the support from the library staff.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

FINALLY DONE! Congrats!

 I just returned back to Germany with two degrees. But that's not the whole truth. I'm back since mid July already. I was waiting ti...